[whatwg] Adding blending to the canvas API

Rik Cabanier cabanier at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 10:48:51 PDT 2012

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 10:36 AM, David Geary <david.mark.geary at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 11:16 AM, Rik Cabanier <cabanier at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 2:17 AM, Ashley Gullen <ashley at scirra.com> wrote:
>>
>> > This looks very handy for games as well!  Things like 'screen' work very
>> > nicely for some effects, especially explosions.
>>
>> Yes, these effects are very commonly used in games, animation and artwork.
>>

> And presumably having them implemented by browser vendors will be more
> efficient than doing it by hand.

Correct. I've found a case where someone implemented this themselves and it
is very slow so it's not useful if you want to create an animation or a
game.

> > Surely you'd want to extend the existing list of globalCompositeOperation
>> > though?
>> >

>> That seemed the easiest way to go.
>> I can see some edge cases that you wouldn't be able to implement easy (ie
>> do a src-out with a screen). I think it would still be possible to do but
>> it would take an extra step.
>

> And presumably the extra step will be less efficient than if the browser
> did it. Also, the developer must implement the extra step. It seems to me
> that the extra step may also require an additional offscreen bitmap.

Correct. The question is if you want to extend the API if the feature is
not that common.

> >  Otherwise you'd have to define how globalCompositeOperation and
>
>  > globalBlendOperation interact.
>>

>> > My spec is trying to define how they interact. Basically, blending is
>> done
>> first and replaces the original source. This new source is then
>> composited.
>>

> Sorry, I’m confused. If that’s how they interact, then musn’t blending and
> compositing be separate things? If you extend the list of
> globalCompositeOperation valid values to include blends, then you can do
> either a blend or a composite, but not both.

Specifying a blend mode would imply doing a src-over with the result of the
blend. Every authoring application (not just Adobe's) that I know of,
implements it that way.