[whatwg] StringEncoding: encode() return type looks weird in the IDL

Joshua Bell jsbell at chromium.org
Mon Aug 6 10:50:23 PDT 2012

On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 11:44 AM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky at mit.edu> wrote:

> On 8/5/12 1:39 PM, Glenn Maynard wrote:
>
>> I didn't say it was extensibility, just a leftover from something that
>> was either considered and dropped or forgotten about.
>>

> Oh, I see.  I thought you were talking about leaving the return value
> as-is so that Uint16Array return values can be added later.
>
> I'd vote for changing the return type to Uint8Array as things stand, and
> if we ever change what the function can return, we change the return type
> at that point.

Thanks. Yes, having the return type be ArrayBufferView in the IDL is just a
leftover. Fixing it now to be Uint8Array.

I'll start another thread on StringEncoding shortly summarizing open
issues, but anyone reading this thread is encouraged to take a look at
http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/StringEncoding and craft opinions.