[whatwg] API for unique identification of devices (mobile/tablet/pc)

Nils Dagsson Moskopp nils at dieweltistgarnichtso.net
Fri Dec 14 01:30:43 PST 2012

"Stan" <stasson at orc.ru> schrieb am Fri, 14 Dec 2012 11:51:57 +0300:

> First, I don't think it's convenient for users to register themselves
> on many sites, which they visit occasionally. If most of the users do
> this right now, it does not mean they are happy with this, this is
> bacause there is no other, more simple way (as simple as just
> clicking on "remember me").

There is an even simpler way: Not doing registration at all when you
do not absolutely, positively need identity. In my experience, that
works quite well on blogs and imageboards. [Full disclosure: I have a
blog and am a moderator on an imageboard I shall not name.]

> Second, user accounts are based on e-mails as a rule, which is not
> unique at all, every user can have multiple e-mails and multiple
> registrations. Many web-services struggle against users' reputation
> spoofing made via such fake accounts.

I do not understand what is “fake” about such accounts.

> Third, I think it's up to a certain web-service design and
> requirements, if it needs to identify user accounts or user devices.
> For example, usage of the same profile on multiple devices can be a
> violation of a web-service license agreement, or a web-service may
> bind several devices to the same profile.

I prefer working towards a world where such licensing schemes do not
exist. Artificial scarcity introduced by licensing restrictions
governing the use of software burdens many so few can profit.

--
Nils Dagsson Moskopp // erlehmann
<http://dieweltistgarnichtso.net>