[whatwg] should we add beforeload/afterload events to the web platform?

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri Feb 3 19:53:34 PST 2012

On Fri, 3 Feb 2012, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> On 2/3/12 3:38 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:
> > > I also believe that we have proposed this for standardization in the
> > > past, though it seems to have fallen through the cracks a bit...
> >
> > I couldn't find any mention of it in the WHATWG archives or Bugzilla,
> > though I did find an e-mail from sicking saying he'd proposed it to
> > the WHATWG list. :-(
>
> http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2010-August/027975.html
> and then there were some followup mails with broken threading
> bikeshedding the names looks like.

Ah yes, that thread is here currently:

   http://www.whatwg.org/issues/#New-features--script-element

Since the use cases were for new features (as opposed to addressing
security vulnerabilities, which seem more important), I have been
deferring it until I get through the bug reports.

So it didn't fall through the cracks, it's still in a bucket. :-)

(Since I've now done half of that thread's requests anyway, and since it's
gotten implementations already now, I'll fasttrack it.)

> > As noted in the previous e-mail, it's not clear that the
> > content-blocker use cases are valid. The use case that is compelling
> > for beforescriptexecute is regarding sites who are trying to address
> > mixed content vulnerabilities progressively and need to closer control
> > over external script execution.
>
> That's the use case I was talking about, but they'd want at least
> control over stylesheets too, I'd think.

Surely for the style sheets there's far less of a difficulty in getting
things right? I don't really understand what vulnerability would be
relevant here such that you'd need per-stylesheet control over what was
being imported.