[whatwg] RWD Heaven: if browsers reported device capabilities in a request header

Kornel Lesiński kornel at geekhood.net
Tue Feb 7 15:28:22 PST 2012

On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 21:17:22 -0000, divya manian <divya.manian at gmail.com>
wrote:

> This is the info I would love to see any time for my app to make the
> kind of decision it should:
> * connection speed: so I know how fast my resources can load, how
> quickly.
> * bandwidth caps: so I know I shouldn't be sending HD images.
> * battery time: network requests are a drain on battery life, if I
> know before hand, I can make sure the user gets information in time.

I understand you'd like to provide most appropriate images, but why do
*you* have to exactly decide which is used when? Everybody is going to
make basically same decisions: if network is slow, use smaller image. If
network is fast and device is high-DPI, use larger image, etc.

So instead of requiring every server to reinvent essentially the same
logic, why not have it in the browser? Browsers can query all the details
of the system without any privacy risks or network overheads.

You could just say "I've got these image sizes available, choose which one
suits you best", and browser would pick one that makes most sense. You
(and every other web developer) wouldn't have to write and maintain code
for computation of bandwidth/latency/battery/screen size/density/zoom/cpu
speed/memory tradeoffs. With so many variables I'm afraid that average
developer wouldn't make better choices than mobile browsers themselves can.

> * notification of change of any of these: so I can provide scaled up
> experiences when these alter.

With HTTP that would require browser to re-send requests for the page and
assets just in case server would make a different decision, and if
difference wasn't big enough to change server's decision, then energy to
wake up cell radio and bandwidth to send requests would be wasted (e.g.
cost of keeping server informed about often-changing zoom level could
easily outweigh savings from reduced images).

OTOH if client was given information on what variants of resources are
available, then it could cheaply re-check conditions when cell radio is
off and only connect when necessary and only request files that have
changed substantially.

--
regards, Kornel Lesiński