[whatwg] RWD Heaven: if browsers reported device capabilities in a request header

Henri Sivonen hsivonen at iki.fi
Wed Feb 8 02:41:58 PST 2012

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 11:17 PM, divya manian <divya.manian at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is the info I would love to see any time for my app to make the
> kind of decision it should:
> * connection speed: so I know how fast my resources can load, how quickly.
> * bandwidth caps: so I know I shouldn't be sending HD images.

How do you know that I don't want to use my bandwidth quota to see
your site fully if I chose to navigate to it?

> * battery time: network requests are a drain on battery life, if I
> know before hand, I can make sure the user gets information in time.

Why should you drain my batter faster if the battery is more full?
(For stuff like throttling down animation and XHR polling, the UA
should probably prevent background tabs from draining battery even
when the battery is near full regardless of whether the site/app is
benevolently cooperative.)

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi