[whatwg] RWD Heaven and responsive-images

Mathew Marquis mat at matmarquis.com
Fri Feb 10 11:44:08 PST 2012

>> The above is just a my proposal in advancing this discussion, and
>> until there is no feedback about this from people on the "RWD Heaven:
>> if browsers reported device capabilities  in a request header" and the
>> "add html-attribute for "responsive images"" threads, and other
>> developers concerned in Responsive Web Design, I don't think I should
>> just create the group and hope that the discussion will just move and
>> concentrate there on its own. So open for feedback on this!
>>
>> Kind regards to all,
>>  Viktor

I’m certainly not opposed to a more productive venue for hashing out some of these issues, but I still worry that we’re backtracking. We’ve already covered a lot of the same ground on this list as a large group of us did months ago ( https://etherpad.mozilla.org/responsive-assets is one of many venues in which this took place ). While I’m in no way railing against having a bunch of new eyes on this problem and new potential solutions, I’m afraid of going back and rehashing the same ideas for the sake of people just joining the conversation. By the time we reach a conclusion—possibly the same conclusion—and present it to the list again, who’s to say we wouldn’t find ourselves repeating the process all over again?

Basically, I’d want to ensure that any discussion within the group takes place in a very public and easy-to-digest way, so we have an easy reference for people joining the conversation late in the game. I’d also love to see a representative from each of the big browsers and a couple of people close to the standards process directly involved, so we can stay as focused and productive as possible. I’m happy to reach out to people, to those ends.

Any way you slice it, you’re right that this list isn’t the place for continued discussion of this sort.  Viktor, if you’re willing to set up such a group, that’s probably a more appropriate venue—at least for the time being.