Ian Yang ian.html at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 19:36:46 PDT 2012

2012/7/16 Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela at cs.tut.fi>

> 2012-07-15 17:40, Ian Yang wrote:
> > Throughout the article, I saw it mentioned "bullets" and "numbers"
> > frequently. However, that's just browsers' default rendering of <ul> and
> > <ol>.
>
> It's the only real difference between the two.

Sorry, I still don't get it. <ul> means unordered list; <ol> means ordered
list. They are quite different, aren't they?

> > As a coder, personally I don't care how browsers render them by
> > default.
>
> You should. Check out the Usual CSS Caveats.

Okay, actually I should say that browser's default rendering is not my *main
concern*.

I know browsers surely have their different default renderings of different
list elements to help readers distinguishing them. But as a coder, my *main
concern* is if the meaning of the code I write correspond the the content,
not the their default renderings (because browsers will handle that).

> What I care is the meaning of the code I write. That is, when I
> > want an unordered list, I write <ul>; when I want an ordered list, I
> write
>
> And what does that mean? Does it mean that browser may or will treat <ul>
> as unordered in the sense that it can render the items in any order? If
> not, what *is* the difference? Just some people's *calling* it "unordered".

Imo, <ul> means the order of the items is unimportant, not browsers can
render the items in any order.

If there were a browser which wants to render the items of <ul> in any
order, okay, it may do that. Anyway, that's not my main concern.

Sincerely,
Ian Yang