[whatwg] <video preload> implementation feedback

Simon Pieters simonp at opera.com
Fri Jun 15 01:20:36 PDT 2012

On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 20:32:16 +0200, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jun 2012, Simon Pieters wrote:
>>
>> It's not more. But it still is. Even though images aren't required to
>> load at all, you still recently changed the way they load to be
>> compatible (http://html5.org/r/7128 ). We should also specify how videos
>> load to be compatible. We can do it now and get everyone to align on a
>> good behavior, or we can wait and do it in a few years when Web content
>> relies on what the market leader does, whether that's good or bad
>> behavior.
>
> I don't understand what behaviour it is that you think we should define.

When preload=none, step 2 of
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/the-video-element.html#concept-media-load-resource
should not be optional.

The effective (internal) preload state should be defined.

It should also be defined that with preload=metadata, readyState should
never go beyond HAVE_CURRENT_DATA, even for a data: URL or otherwise fully
cached resource.

> As far as I can tell, the spec is as detailed as it can be here given the
> range of possible implementation strategies that we need to allow.
>
> Could you give a concrete example of what you are concerned about?

<video src=x preload=none onsuspend="makeSiteWork()"></video>

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software