[whatwg] Defaulting new image solution to 192dpi

Kornel Lesiński kornel at geekhood.net
Thu May 17 05:05:38 PDT 2012

On Thu, 17 May 2012 12:52:47 +0100, Andy Davies <dajdavies at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> My suggestion is that the srcset (or <picture>) should assume that
>> images are "2x" scale by default.
>
> Doesn't this makes the assumption that pixel density is the most
> likely reason for needing the alternative image rather than viewport /
> image dimensions?

Those two cases are orthogonal — one doesn't exclude the other, and I'm
not claiming that it solves the "art-directed" case.

In fact, even if you have adaptive cropping of the image, you'd still want
image resolution to match display's DPI, e.g.

obama-face at 2x.jpg vs obama-with-audience at 2x.jpg

and possibly negotiate on both axes at the same time:

obama-face at 2x.jpg vs obama-with-audience at 2x.jpg vs
obama-face at 1x.jpg vs obama-with-audience at 1x.jpg

--
regards, Kornel Lesiński