[whatwg] Defaulting new image solution to 192dpi

Andy Davies dajdavies at gmail.com
Thu May 17 05:47:12 PDT 2012

On 17 May 2012 13:05, Kornel Lesiński <kornel at geekhood.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 17 May 2012 12:52:47 +0100, Andy Davies <dajdavies at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> My suggestion is that the srcset (or <picture>) should assume that images
>>> are "2x" scale by default.
>>

>> Doesn't this makes the assumption that pixel density is the most
>> likely reason for needing the alternative image rather than viewport /
>> image dimensions?
>

> Those two cases are orthogonal — one doesn't exclude the other, and I'm not
> claiming that it solves the "art-directed" case.

srcset can be used to offer alternatives for higher or lower DPI,
and/or larger or smaller viewports so I'm still not convinced that an
assumption that somehow it should assume that the srcset images are 2x
scale by default really helps.

Much of the usage I've seen for responsive images so far has
concentrated on providing images that change with viewport size rather
than DPI.

Cheers

Andy