[whatwg] Firing canplaythrough when caches/buffers are full

Andrew Scherkus scherkus at google.com
Wed May 30 10:37:18 PDT 2012

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 9:47 AM, Jer Noble <jer.noble at apple.com> wrote:

> On May 27, 2012, at 5:51 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert at ocallahan.org>
> wrote:
>
> > I propose fixing this by having the UA enter the HAVE_ENOUGH_DATA
> > readyState when the UA decides to suspend a download indefinitely and the
> > preload state is "Automatic" (or overriden by "autoplay" being set).
> >
> > We have checked in a patch to Gecko to do this. (Note that for a long
> time,
> > Gecko has triggered playback of autoplay elements when suspending due to
> > media buffers being full. The new change makes us enter HAVE_ENOUGH_DATA
> as
> > well.)
>
> For what it's worth, the Mac port of WebKit has this exact behavior: <
> http://trac.webkit.org/changeset/97944>.  It would be good to formalize
> this, however.

Chrome's canplaythrough logic (which admittedly needs a little work) has
similar behaviour. I agree it'd be good to formalize the behaviour.

Rob: when you say to suspend a download indefinitely would this coincide
with dropping the networkState to NETWORK_IDLE and subsequently firing a
suspend event?

Andrew