[whatwg] Improving autocomplete

Elliott Sprehn esprehn at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 17:10:44 PST 2012

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 3:09 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk at annevk.nl> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 10:01 AM, Adam Barth <w3c at adambarth.com> wrote:
> > When should the UA offer to fill in the form (e.g., to select which
> > address they would like to use for shipping this particular order)?
>
> Presumably on page load.

It was our experience that making this judgement call is difficult, and
giving authors control is better than guessing. There's also technical
issues such as dynamically created forms when using page load, or our
primary use case which is hidden forms and a button that launches this UI
which is very attractive on mobile.

So to answer your original question about use cases, we want to make it
easy for an author to declaratively describe a data set and then request
the information from the browser. Using this we want to make it trivial,
especially on mobile, to request the information from the UA to allow
faster form filling experiences (ex. shipping forms, payment forms, login
forms, etc.)

> > In particular, Elliott wrote:
> >
> >> Authors can also display
> >> no forms at all to users of a browser who implements this proposal for
> >> one click checkout experiences which are important on mobile devices.
>
> I guess in that case it would be nice to know the user agent actually
> did display some UI.

Indeed, if the browser is incapable of displaying a UI we should fire an
error event.

Are we using "cancel" elsewhere by the way? Fullscreen uses "error" as
> suffix for the event type.

That's a great idea, I've unified the naming with fullscreen.

- E