[whatwg] Improving autocomplete

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Sat Nov 10 22:50:48 PST 2012

(1) If this API fills in a form completely based on stored data, and not by completing the user's typing, then it is "autofill" rather than "autocomplete".

(2) If this API provides the ability to get user information without even having a visible form, then it's not clear that it is even really autofill. It's just "requestUserInformation()" or something.

(3) This API has important privacy and even security considerations. You have to tell the user exactly what you are going to fill in to the site before they approve. Unfortunately, most won't read it. If sites are asking for so much info that they have to split pages for usability, then it seems likely the UI that tells the user what the site is asking for will be impractical for most users to meaningfully review. This becomes especially dangerous if the mechanism can fill in credit card info. I would be very nervous if the browser could at any moment pop up a dialog that would submit all my credit card info to a dubious site if I slip and click the wrong button. Can you expand more on what thought you have given to the security considerations?

(4) Should this API be limited to initiation during a user interaction? That would reduce the ability of sites to spam the user with such forms.

(5) What makes the UI unspoofable? Is that an important part of the security model?

Regards,
Maciej