[whatwg] [canvas] inner shadows

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri Nov 23 22:30:45 PST 2012

On Fri, 23 Nov 2012, Rik Cabanier wrote:

> > > I don't think that will work. Shadows are calculated before clipping so
> > > they don't follow the clipping path.
> >
> > What matters is how they're painted, and that does follow the clipping
> > path, as far as I can tell (step 4 of the drawing model).
>
> What matters is the shape that is used to calculate the blur (step 1) In
> your example, that shape is a rectangle--

No, no, the rectangle is just added to the existing path. The code snippet
above comes _after_ you've drawn the shape.

> > > Even if it was right, it would only apply to shapes and only if
> > > those shapes didn't have strokes and were completely opaque.
> >
> > That's easy enough, though, you only need to make a shape that is what
> > you want the inner shadow to go over, and then set the fill to black
> > (or anything completely opaque).
>
> How about the strokes?

The example in the OP didn't have them, but you'd have to include them in
the fill area. With the new Path objects, you'd just use
addPathByStrokingPath(), which would be relatively simple.

> > It's even easier with the new Path primitives since you can construct
> > a combined path by stroking them all into one.
>
> Unfortunately, the current path logic does not support unions. It just
> does path accumulation which will not give you the desired result.

So long as they don't overlap, that's not generally a problem. But sure,
for some complex shapes you'd need some new feature or other, whether it's
in shadows or path construction or elsewhere.