[whatwg] [canvas] inner shadows

Rik Cabanier cabanier at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 08:28:08 PST 2012

On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 10:30 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Nov 2012, Rik Cabanier wrote:

> so
> > >
> > > What matters is how they're painted, and that does follow the clipping
> > > path, as far as I can tell (step 4 of the drawing model).
> >
> > What matters is the shape that is used to calculate the blur (step 1) In
> > your example, that shape is a rectangle--
>
> No, no, the rectangle is just added to the existing path. The code snippet
> above comes _after_ you've drawn the shape.

True. I forgot that the clip doesn't do a newpath. Sorry about that!

> > > That's easy enough, though, you only need to make a shape that is what
> > > you want the inner shadow to go over, and then set the fill to black
> > > (or anything completely opaque).
> >
> > How about the strokes?
>
> The example in the OP didn't have them, but you'd have to include them in
> the fill area. With the new Path objects, you'd just use
> addPathByStrokingPath(), which would be relatively simple.

Unfortunately the winding rules will mess up your shape. (non-zero winding)

Take for instance a stroked circle.
The stroke which is added with addPathByStrokingPath will always create a
hole so you end up with a donut instead of just a slightly larger circle.