[whatwg] acronym - Proposal for re-instating
willabeewombat at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 08:40:11 PDT 2012
Please see http://forums.whatwg.org/bb3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5081 for the
background of my request to have <acronym> added to the HTML5 spec.
Without getting into all of the discussions about what is an abbreviation
and what is an acronym, I would like to propose the <acronym> element be
added to the semantics of HTML5 with a clear indication of its semantic use;
<acronym> the word is spoken.
<abbr> the abbreviation is spelt out, letter by letter.
Nice and simple. Everyone should understand the semantics.
- This would avoid any confusion to HTML author
- Screen readers can use it to say or spell out the word.
- Designers can use these different elements to stylistically make the
semantics obvious to visual users.
- There will be no need to add a class name to these elements for
- Thus making the HTML author and the designers job much easier.
- In addition, the overall page weight will be much lighter. Which is
very important as we go more and more into the mobile world with our web
- The title attribute should be encouraged for these elements.
- Visual users will get a tooltip in most browsers.
- Screen readers may make use of them.
enhancements, such as a more elegant tooltip or to dynamically
to Wikipedia for further investigation by a curious user.
More information about the whatwg