[whatwg] acronym - Proposal for re-instating

Willabee Wombat willabeewombat at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 08:40:11 PDT 2012

Please see http://forums.whatwg.org/bb3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5081 for the
background of my request to have <acronym> added to the HTML5 spec.

*Summary*

Without getting into all of the discussions about what is an abbreviation
and what is an acronym, I would like to propose the <acronym> element be
added to the semantics of HTML5 with a clear indication of its semantic use;

<acronym> the word is spoken.

<abbr> the abbreviation is spelt out, letter by letter.

Nice and simple. Everyone should understand the semantics.

   - This would avoid any confusion to HTML author
   - Screen readers can use it to say or spell out the word.
   - Designers can use these different elements to stylistically make the
   semantics obvious to visual users.
   - There will be no need to add a class name to these elements for
   presentation purposes.
      - Thus making the HTML author and the designers job much easier.
      - In addition, the overall page weight will be much lighter. Which is
      very important as we go more and more into the mobile world with our web
      site designs.
   - The title attribute should be encouraged for these elements.
      - Visual users will get a tooltip in most browsers.
      - Screen readers may make use of them.
      - JavaScript developer could make use of them for progressive
      enhancements, such as a more elegant tooltip or to dynamically
create links
      to Wikipedia for further investigation by a curious user.

Thank you

Regards

Willabee