[whatwg] acronym - Proposal for re-instating

Nils Dagsson Moskopp nils at dieweltistgarnichtso.net
Mon Oct 15 09:02:59 PDT 2012

Willabee Wombat <willabeewombat at gmail.com> schrieb am Mon, 15 Oct 2012
16:40:11 +0100:

> Please see http://forums.whatwg.org/bb3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5081 for
> the background of my request to have <acronym> added to the HTML5
> spec.
>

> *Summary*
>
> Without getting into all of the discussions about what is an
> abbreviation and what is an acronym, I would like to propose the
> <acronym> element be added to the semantics of HTML5 with a clear
> indication of its semantic use;
>
> […]

I just found <http://camendesign.com/code/using-abbr> where it is
suggested to use an abbr element without a title attribute to indicate
that the abbreviation “is unpronouncable as a word”.

<http://camendesign.com/abbr_redux> backtracks: “Do not use [abbr] on
initialisms that are spoken letter-by-letter”, “Only use abbr without a
title on initialisms that should be pronounced as written rather than
read out letter-by-letter”.

Is this acceptable?

--
Nils Dagsson Moskopp // erlehmann