[whatwg] Meta "bugreport" proposal

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Wed Oct 31 12:33:26 PDT 2012

On Wed, 31 Oct 2012, Nicolas Froidure wrote:

> I think we need a specification to allow users to report websites bugs
> from their browser. That's why i think it could be usefull to add a meta
> markup like this :
>
> The uri could be :
> - mailto: to send a report by mail (ex: mailto:webmaster at example.org)
> - http: to send the bug report a a simple HTTP POST request (ex:
> http://example.org/bugreport).
> - bug: something more customizable to allow webmasters to fit bug reports with
> their systems (ex: bug:http?uri=/bug.dat&method=POST&captcha=/captcha.jpg )
> - etc (ws:, irc: ...)
>
> In order to test this i just made a Chrome extension illustrating how browsers
> could handle this meta markup :
> https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/bugmeback/hgmagcomobmjhaomdoihiggpdekaehmg
>
> The code is there : https://github.com/nfroidure/BugMeBack
>
> Are you interested in that kind of approach for bug reporting ?

This seems interesting. My recommendation would be to continue developing
the extension, and to try to convince browser vendors and site owners that
this is a good feature to expose. If there is momentum behind a feature
such as this, it is much easier to push it into a spec.

See also:

   http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/FAQ#Is_there_a_process_for_adding_new_features_to_a_specification.3F

On Wed, 31 Oct 2012, Julian Reschke wrote:

> <link>, not <meta>.

Indeed.