[whatwg] Hardware accelerated canvas

Justin Novosad junov at chromium.org
Tue Sep 4 10:49:28 PDT 2012

On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 10:22 AM, Mark Callow <callow_mark at hicorp.co.jp>wrote:

> It is not a rare occurrence on mobile devices. On my tablet WebGL app's
> lose their context every time the tablet goes to sleep. Since the
> timeout is so short, it only take a brief distraction and "poof!" the
> tablet is asleep. The loss can happen while the application is in the
> middle of drawing the canvas.

It seems like this is much more of a problem on mobile OSes. On win7, I
tried unsuccessfully to hose GPU-accelerated 2D canvases in IE and Chrome.
 The OS (or is it the graphics driver?) is doing a good job of making 2D
canvas render buffers persist through various GPU calamities such as system
hibernation and remote desktop sessions.  So, is context loss even an issue
on any modern desktop OS?  Can anyone reliably repro a 2D canvas context
loss on Windows (Vista or 7), or MacOS X with up to date drivers and a
current version of any browser?