[whatwg] New URL Standard

Jukka K. Korpela jkorpela at cs.tut.fi
Mon Sep 24 03:08:07 PDT 2012

2012-09-24 12:47, Karl Dubost wrote:

> On cite attributes, I'm using urn:isbn:

>        de mes actes. J'aime comprendre ce que je
>        fais… Et, cependant, je donne mon accord
>        à ce marché bizarre.</p>
>
> Which I can use and parse with an extension in Opera [1] which convert it
 > into a link to the Open Library. In the future I could give
accessibilities
> to different services, and the user could choose its own reference system.

This is all very cool in its own way, and could be useful when used
with discipline within a discipline. But for a long time, such cool
ideas will not be supported in most browsing situations. Yet, authors
who know the cool idea will apply it and will fail to "duplicate" any
credits in the normal visible content. This means that to most users, a
quotation will appear without any credits or source information.

It also means that the only immediately available source information for
a quotation will be an ISBN in URL format. So, for example, working
offline, you won't see even the title and the author. Would the
quotation even satisfy the legal requirements for quotations?

If the credits are additionally given in visible content, there *there*
is the place to do cool things with ISBNs. The credits, when they
include the ISBN in addition to author, title, etc., could have the ISBN
part turned to an element like <a href="urn:isbn:2-7073-1038-7">ISBN
2-7073-1038-7</a>. (This would still suffer from lack of compatibility
with older user agents, creating non-working links on them, so maybe
some new markup - which would simply be ignored by old user agents -
would be better.)

The point, however, is that the cite attribute in <blockquote> is broken
by design and should not be implemented in any new ways (or old).

Yucca