[whatwg] Why are we merging Document and HTMLDocument again?

Dirk Schulze dschulze at adobe.com
Fri Apr 5 11:16:21 PDT 2013

On Mar 5, 2013, at 1:42 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 12:42 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky at mit.edu> wrote:
>> On 3/5/13 3:30 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:
>>> I'd be fine with having a Document descendant that is used for Documents
>>> that have global scopes / browsing contexts / the works, and one that is
>>> used for Documents that don't (e.g. createDocument(), XHR); would that
>>> address this issue?
>>
>> It's one way to address it, yes...
>
> A lot of the stuff that's moving into Document due to this merge is
> desirable for the SVGWG as well - we'd like to try and eliminate the
> SVGDocument interface if possible, or if not, at least reduce it to
> its bare minimum and rely just on Document for most things.

We can not eliminate SVGDocument until you want to have SVG specific attributes on Document ;). This was  not the discussion on the SVG WG. But we do want to share all methods with HTMLDocument where is makes sense, which are most of them. HTMLDocument, as noted by Boris, have specific methods as well that we do not necessarily want in a general scoped Document object.

Greetings,
Dirk