[whatwg] 2D canvas feature proposal: text decoration

Rik Cabanier cabanier at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 19:51:38 PDT 2013

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 6:38 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 4:42 PM, Rik Cabanier <cabanier at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 4:18 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> If they're trying to take on the value of CSS properties, they should
> >> absolutely *not* be enums.  DOMStrings are the correct data type for
> >> that.
> >
> > Why is that? There's no difference to an author.
>
> There is, the moment you have a multi-keyword value.  ^_^
>
> (Also, it lets you more easily just defer to CSS for the
> interpretation of the property, rather than having to manually update
> the enum when we add new values.)

I checked and the values in CanvasDrawingStyles don't correspond with CSS
values so it should be OK to turn them into enums.
Only 'font' corresponds to an actual CSS value [1] and must not be changed.

The proposed 'textDecoration' property would follow CSS so it *could* be a
DOMString (even though I feel the IDL is cleaner with enums).

1:
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/the-canvas-element.html#dom-context-2d-font