[whatwg] API to delay the document load event

Nils Dagsson Moskopp nils at dieweltistgarnichtso.net
Mon Apr 29 19:15:25 PDT 2013

James Graham <jgraham at opera.com> schrieb am Mon, 29 Apr 2013 12:50:34
+0200:

> […]
>
> I mean, let's say you delay the load event until after some data has
> loaded over a web socket. If you try to use that data from the load
> event handler it can fail in a racy way in UAs that don't support
> delaying the load event. This also seems like the kind of race that
> you are more likely to win on a local network, so it wouldn't
> necessarily be caught during development.

With today's web applications one already has to set up a browser
instance and run JavaScript until the DOM stops wobbling just to get
the HTML the page displays on load. Every single API that makes it
easier to build the DOM in JavaScript can and will be used to do so,
and in the process, make life harder for everyone else trying to do
something (parsing, screenshooting) with such web pages.

The turing complete input language that shall not be named is already
turning a document load into a halting problem often enough. I would
prefer if developers would fix their web pages to not take ages to
load. I fear that whatever band-aid the WG will come up with is going
to set wrong incentives – making it easier to not send declarative
markup and encourage people to violate the principle of least power.

--
Nils Dagsson Moskopp // erlehmann
<http://dieweltistgarnichtso.net>