[whatwg] Styling form controls (Was: Re: Forms-related feedback)

Dimitri Glazkov dglazkov at chromium.org
Wed Dec 4 10:45:47 PST 2013

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 10:30 AM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

> > > Web components can't define pseudo elements. So no.
> > >
> > > This sadly also means that you can't write a CSS which styles the
> > > default UA UI if that is used, and styles an attached Shadow DOM if
> > > that is used.
> >
> > That's simply not true. Where'd you get that?
> >
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/shadow-dom/#custom-pseudo-elements
> > http://robdodson.me/blog/2013/11/15/the-cat-and-the-hat-css-selectors/
>
> The key feature here isn't defining _new_ pseudo-elements, but being able
> to map specific elements in the shadow tree to predefined standard
> pseudo-elements, in particular, the same pseudo-elements that the standard
> binding exposes.
>
> If such a feature is available, then the HTML spec could list which of the
> standard pseudos each default binding is expected to expose, and then
> authors could style subparts of standard controls easily.

FWIW, I got push back on attempting to do this from both Apple and Mozilla
at the Shadow DOM CSS Meeting (
http://www.w3.org/wiki/Webapps/WebComponentsJune2013Meeting). The notes
don't do justice, unfortunately (
http://www.w3.org/2013/06/21-webapps-minutes.html (search for "SLIGHTLY
sympathetic").

The gist of the argument was that we should let UAs decide how they want to
design controls and avoid limiting their options by standardizing behavior
of pseudo-elements.

:DG<