[whatwg] Styling form controls (Was: Re: Forms-related feedback)

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Wed Dec 4 15:37:55 PST 2013

On Wed, 4 Dec 2013, Dimitri Glazkov wrote:

> The gist of the argument was that we should let UAs decide how they want
> to design controls and avoid limiting their options by standardizing
> behavior of pseudo-elements.

I'm not suggesting that we define the actual bindings. Just that we
describe some of the components that native bindings might use. For
example, a type=number control could have a ::value pseudo and a ::button
pseudo, and the ::value would match the text editing area, and the
::button would match the up and down buttons -- except on platforms that
replace the whole control with just a text control that pops up a spinner,
in which case the ::button wouldn't match anything.