[whatwg] Should ambiguous ampersand be a parse error?

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at MIT.EDU
Tue Dec 10 12:20:22 PST 2013

On 12/10/13 2:33 PM, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> Authoring requirements as such are just policy statements, therefore
> regularly ignored.

In this case, it's an eminently validator-enforceable authoring requirement.

> Allowing user agents to stop parsing after a parse error (BTW, where
> exactly does the WHATWG HTML Living Standard allow that?)

Did you try following the links in my mail?  Let me try again, but this
time do actually follow the link:
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/parsing.html#parse-error

> If browsers actually apply some specific error recovery,
> what’s the excuse for not making that mandatory?

For example, it allows a validator or other conformance checker to just
stop at the first parse error.  In fact, the spec goes to some trouble
to allow that and discuss conformance checker behavior around parse
errors, if you read the link above.

-Boris