[whatwg] Should ambiguous ampersand be a parse error?

Jukka K. Korpela jkorpela at cs.tut.fi
Tue Dec 10 13:41:51 PST 2013

2013-12-10 22:20, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> In this case, it's an eminently validator-enforceable authoring
> requirement.

That’s a more or less a wannabe-normative requirement that “validators”
are supposed to enforce. There is no real HTML5 validator so far (not
surprising, as there is no HTML5), but the point is that nobody who does
not use a “validator” will see the requirement as “enforced”-

>> Allowing user agents to stop parsing after a parse error (BTW, where
>> exactly does the WHATWG HTML Living Standard allow that?)
>
> Did you try following the links in my mail?  Let me try again, but this
> time do actually follow the link:
> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/parsing.html#parse-error

“This section only applies to user agents, data mining tools, and
conformance checkers.” So what about conformance of documents?

If browsers are allowed to quit, or to proceed, then this is a very
theoretic proposition. Technically, it does not define document
conformance, does it?

Yucca