[whatwg] Assigning media resources represented as DOM objects to a media element

Jonas Sicking jonas at sicking.cc
Fri Feb 15 01:50:58 PST 2013

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 2:49 AM, Robert O'Callahan <robert at ocallahan.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 9:44 PM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk at annevk.nl> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 4:19 AM, Robert O'Callahan <robert at ocallahan.org>
>> wrote:
>> > I think this would be a worthwhile addition to the Web platform.
>>
>> It's somewhat ironic this happened, especially with Mozilla leading! I
>> advocated this approach from the start:
>>
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2011OctDec/1515.html
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2011OctDec/1576.html
>>

> Heh. I apologize on Jonas' behalf :-).

I don't think that I've argued against it. What I've argued against is
having this be the *only* way to read out of a blob and into things
that traditionally use URLs.

I.e. I've just been arguing that we need createObjectURL as well.

Also, for what it's worth, I'm holding out hope that we can change
createObjectURL to be autorevoking by default. That's what the latest
drafts are saying and no implementation has objected, despite repeated
pokings.

/ Jonas