[whatwg] inputmode feedback

Jonas Sicking jonas at sicking.cc
Fri Feb 15 01:45:16 PST 2013

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 11:29 AM, Mounir Lamouri <mounir at lamouri.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Mozilla did implement an inputmode attribute for the <input> element a
> few months ago and the HTML specification has been updated after that to
> introduce that attribute. Given that the specification and our
> implementation was not matching, we decided to delay the release of that
> feature [1] and not advertise it. We unfortunately had to push a
> "x-inputmode" attribute in Firefox OS because our UI needed that feature
> but we expect to replace this with a proper inputmode implementation as
> soon as possible.
>
> Basically, the Mozilla's inputmode attribute is describing behaviour,
> the allowed value are mostly self-explanatory: auto, uppercase,
> lowercase, titlecase, autocapitalized, digit and numeric.

What's the difference between "auto" and "autocapitalized"?

> To conclude, Mozilla is interested in implementing this set of keywords:
> verbatim, text, name, prose and digit (or numeric).

I have to say, these feel a lot less understandable than the types
currently implemented in x-inputmode.

Using semantic names might give us the warm fuzzies, but is there
really any semantic use we will get out of these that we wouldn't by
using "lowercase", "titlecase" or "autocapitalized"?

I take it verbatim and name would disable any spelling corrections,
and name would also titlecase? But the difference between text and
prose seems really hard to understand. I can't even understand the
actual behavioral difference (which is what authors actually care
about) reading the spec, much less guessing by the name.

/ Jonas