[whatwg] Entity definitions in XHTML

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Jan 17 10:58:05 PST 2013

On Thu, 17 Jan 2013, David Carlisle wrote:

> By adding
>
> "-//W3C//ENTITIES HTML MathML Set//EN//XML"
>
> To the list in
>
> 13.2 Parsing XHTML documents
>
> Of Identifiers that are recognised when parsing XHTML syntax documents.

What problem does this solve?

> The current list gives no way to specify the identifier of a compatible
> set of entity definitions so makes it highly likely that documents will
> be interpreted differently by an XHTML user agent and a standard XML
> toolchain.

I do not understand what this means. Can you give an example?

Fundamentally, I'd rather be removing these magic strings than adding
more. If there's a compatibility need, then we should add it, but if the
browsers don't already support the string, then there's no compat need
that I can see.