[whatwg] Requiring the Encoding Standard preferred name is too strict for no good reason

Jukka K. Korpela jkorpela at cs.tut.fi
Tue Jul 2 01:24:45 PDT 2013

2013-07-02 10:15, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 8:05 AM, Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela at cs.tut.fi> wrote:
>> [...]
>
> I think a much more interesting problem is when they update that old
> page with an IRI, <form>, or some XMLHttpRequest, and shit hits the
> fan. That's why you want to flag all non-utf-8 usage and just get
> people to migrate towards sanity.

Such evangelism is a different issue. If you want to nag “you should use
UTF-8”, as a warning, each and every time when someones declares any
other encoding, you will confuse or irritate many people and will reduce
the popularity of validators. But in any case, it is quite distinct from
the issue of declaring the iso-8859-1 encoding as an error.

Yucca