[whatwg] Requiring the Encoding Standard preferred name is too strict for no good reason

Anne van Kesteren annevk at annevk.nl
Tue Jul 2 02:07:24 PDT 2013

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 9:24 AM, Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela at cs.tut.fi> wrote:
> Such evangelism is a different issue. If you want to nag “you should use
> UTF-8”, as a warning, each and every time when someones declares any other
> encoding, you will confuse or irritate many people and will reduce the
> popularity of validators. But in any case, it is quite distinct from the
> issue of declaring the iso-8859-1 encoding as an error.

Given that the validator is used primarily for new content, I doubt
that very much. And most new content is utf-8 already. As for how it's
related, http://encoding.spec.whatwg.org/ takes the stance currently
that all non-utf-8 encodings are simply non-conforming, as there's too
much room for error when using them.

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/