[whatwg] Proposal: Change HTML spec to allow any arbitrary value for the <meta> "name" attribute

Jirka Kosek jirka at kosek.cz
Tue Jun 4 03:56:20 PDT 2013

On 4.6.2013 12:33, Robin Berjon wrote:

> developers reach for. If the validation errors on metadata names served
> a clearly useful purpose I'd suggest waiting it out until using data-*
> becomes more of a reflex, but that doesn't seem to be the case so the
> pain inflicted in the meantime doesn't appear to be useful.

I think that spec is not really not good in this aspect and should be
changed along the lines Mike proposed. The spec should allow any name
and validator optionally could emit warning if unregistered name is
used. But it shouldn't be treated as error -- <meta> was always
extension point and it's unrealistic to think that every piece of
metadata will go to registry.

				Jirka

If there would be real distributed extensibility on metadata names...

  Jirka Kosek      e-mail: jirka at kosek.cz      http://xmlguru.cz