[whatwg] Proposal:Improve internationalization in the autocomplete attribute

Albert Bodenhamer abodenha at chromium.org
Mon Jun 17 17:03:45 PDT 2013

Thanks Ian.  Comments below.

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 4:27 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

> I was working on bug 22286, and noticed that this e-mail was relevant:
>
> On Tue, 11 Jun 2013, Albert Bodenhamer wrote:
> >
> > Address lines:
> > Currently: Recommended handling for addresses is currently as a single
> > line.  Alternatively, sites can ask for address lines 1-3 but this is
> > discouraged.
> > Problem: Single line doesn't work well for all regions. Some areas have 5
> > lines for an address and might have more.
> > Proposal: If address is requested as a single line newlines should be
> > preserved when filling. Stop discouraging the use of address-lines.
> Support
> > more than 3 lines for address.  Potentially, address-lineX where X can be
> > 1-9.
>
> Of these options, a multi-line "street-address" seems like the most
> reasonable, so I've gone with that.

Cool.

> > Address 'locality':
> > Problem: Some regions have the concept of a "post town".  It's currently
> > unclear how this should be requested.
> > Proposal: Add "post town" to the list of expected localities in the
> > description to make it more clear how this should be requested.
>
> Done.
>

> Sounds good.

> > Address CEDEX codes:
> > Problem: They don't fit well into the "postal-code" field and are often
> > handled as a separate entity.
> > Proposal: Add a field name for CEDEX code.
>
> Can you elaborate on this? The Wikipedia page for French postal
> addresses suggests that the CEDEX code is in fact the postal code, much
> like a PO Box number in the US is technically part of the 9-digit ZIP
> code, but that "CEDEX" is appended to the address' locality field.

Lara, can you add more context here?  You'd said that CEDEX doesn't really
fit into postal code, but I don't understand why.

> > Address: Physical vs mailing address
> > Problem: It might be desirable to be able to specify that a physical
> > address (an actual location) is expected rather than a mailing address
> (eg
> > a PO box).
> > Proposal: Open to suggestions.
>
> What's the use case?

IMO this is a nice-to-have.  Lara may disagree.

The intent is that if the site needs a physical address it can specify that
in the request.  For example, if a shipper can't do PO box, singing
telegrams, etc.  I think this is something the user should be able to
decide from context when selecting an address, but having extra constraints
would be convenient.

> > Phone:
> > Problem: The detail sections for phone number are very US-centric.  The
> > spec discourages the use of the detail sections as a result, but sites
> may
> > want to get phone number broken into chunks.
> > Proposal: Consider adding additional detail sections to reduce the US
> bias.
>
> I'd much rather just drop the detailed sections entirely. People really
> shouldn't be using them, in any region.

Sounds good to me.  I haven't seen anyone wanting to break things apart
yet.  We can discuss further if someone has an actual use case.

Thanks.

> --

Albert Bodenhamer | Software Engineer | abodenha at chromium.<abodenha at google.com>
org