[whatwg] use cases for <figure> without <figcaption>?

Martin Janecke whatwg.org at prlbr.com
Thu Jun 20 15:34:52 PDT 2013

Hi Steve,

>> The fact that they are enclosed in the <figure> elements means that they
> are referenced somewhere, I believe.
>
> so if not referenced somewhere, they should not be in a figure?

Probably they should not, as figures are "typically referenced as a single unit from the main flow of the document"^[1]. I'd like to add that the reference can be implicit, though. A short car magazine article about a particular model might be a good example. Readers who are likely to have seen some cars in their lives will identify a car's front section on a photograph by themselves and make the connection to what the articles writes about it.

Here is such an article: http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2014-bmw-4-series-photos-and-info-news
Although the webpage does not actually use figure elements, it would be appropriate for the photographs that are embedded in the main article. The photographs illustrate and enhance the article's content by providing more design details than the text, are self-contained, not part of the main flow and implicitly referenced from it. (The photos should have alt-texts though.)

Regards
Martin

[1]: WHATWG HTML spec 4.5.11 The figure element