[whatwg] Fetch: number of tasks queued

Bjoern Hoehrmann derhoermi at gmx.net
Wed Mar 13 08:40:35 PDT 2013

* Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>For the "data:text/html," case Gecko reports both 2 and 4. For
>"data:text/html,test" you get 2, 3 test, 4 test. Chrome/Safari
>dispatch 4 (without test) and then throw mentioning a synchronous
>request. Seems very much like an implementation bug. IE10 throws on
>the open() call which is a bug too. I'm leaning towards just reporting
>4 for data/about as all the data is already in.

http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-XMLHttpRequest-20121206/#data:-urls-and-http
essentially defines that a GET to data: is equivalent to a HTTP response

  HTTP/1.1 200 OK
  content-type: <type>

  <decoded data>

I see no reason why implementations should handle them differently than
how they handle such a HTTP response; that would just result in bugs,
like handling the Content-Type header in state HEADERS_RECEIVED for HTTP
and then switching to data: loads and suddenly the code stops working.
This includes of course things like not putting data in .responseText in
HEADERS_RECEIVED state when that does not happen for HTTP either.