[whatwg] Hide placeholder on input controls on focus

Roger Hågensen rescator at emsai.net
Thu Mar 21 12:20:14 PDT 2013

On 2013-03-21 14:02, Markus Ernst wrote:
> Am 21.03.2013 12:10 schrieb James Ross:
>> Just as an added data-point (that I only noticed today) - Windows 7's
>> placeholder implementation in the Start menu and Explorer's search box:
>>   - Focusing the input box with tab/Control-E or autofocus when
>> opening the Start menu does *not* hide the placeholder.
>>   - Control-A or clicking in the textbox hides the placeholder.
>
> I was not aware of the possibility to distinguish between clicking in
> a textbox and other ways to focus it. This behaviour seems to be very
> user-friendly to me.

As far as I know there are "hover", "focus", and "modified" (are there
others?). The events varies whether it's in a browser (and which
browser) and which OS (and which GUI API).

Ideally a browser chrome should follow the OS styleguide to provide a
consistent OS user experience.
And with HTML5 stuff should behave consistently in all HTML5 supporting
browsers.
But that's just my opinion on where the "line" should be drawn. There
are after all things like the context menu stuff that crosses the GUI
boundaries.

--
Roger "Rescator" Hågensen.
Freelancer - http://www.EmSai.net/