[whatwg] Hide placeholder on input controls on focus

Kit Grose kit at iqmultimedia.com.au
Thu Mar 21 16:29:10 PDT 2013

On 22/03/2013, at 6:20 AM, Roger Hågensen wrote:

> Ideally a browser chrome should follow the OS styleguide to provide a consistent OS user experience.
> And with HTML5 stuff should behave consistently in all HTML5 supporting browsers.

I disagree that "all HTML5 supporting browsers" should (necessarily) behave consistently, especially coupled with the implication that it should do so even in violation of the OS's conventions.

UAs should implement all interactive controls in the way that is most consistent with user expectations. Surely it's better for users that their browser behaves consistently with the other apps on their own system than it is for browsers to behave consistently across a variety of platforms.

I don't believe the specification should dictate any visual style for placeholders, nor any specific behaviour for hiding the placeholder. In that way, I support the current phrasing of the specification which cedes that decision to implementors. This provides each implementor the latitude to implement the placeholder behaviour in a way that is consistent with the platform it's running on, as they (presumably) currently do for their browser chrome.

Kit Grose
User Experience + Tech Director,
iQmultimedia