[whatwg] pagehide vs pagevis

Brady Eidson beidson at apple.com
Tue May 28 21:55:28 PDT 2013

On May 28, 2013, at 12:46 PM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> On 5/28/13 2:02 PM, Brady Eidson wrote:
>> If a page receives “pagehide” with persisted set to true, it correctly assumes that it might be revived at a later date with a pageshow event.  These pages do not expect any event dispatch between the pagehide and the pageshow...
>
> This expectation was always wrong: events can be dispatched by script at any time to pages in the page cache.

I'm sorry, who's page cache are you talking about?  Page caches are (AFAIK) not really fleshed out in any spec, and the WebKit page cache *intends* to represent a 100% inert page.  This includes the inability to receive events.  Any exceptions in practice are a bug for us that we would strive to patch.

>> I didn’t closely follow pagevis when originally discussed (I now wish I had), but is there any motivation for this?
>
> There is some reasonably lengthy discussion about the ordering here in the archives at http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-perf/ which you may want to read.

Can you provide a specific link to relevant threads you're thinking of?  I can't guess what search terms you intend for me to use.

Thanks,
~Brady