[whatwg] pagehide vs pagevis

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at MIT.EDU
Tue May 28 22:11:07 PDT 2013

On 5/29/13 12:55 AM, Brady Eidson wrote:
>> This expectation was always wrong: events can be dispatched by script at any time to pages in the page cache.
>
> I'm sorry, who's page cache are you talking about?

Gecko's, which initially defined the pagehide/pageshow events.  ;)

>  Page caches are (AFAIK) not really fleshed out in any spec, and the WebKit page cache *intends* to represent a 100% inert page.  This includes the inability to receive events.

So what happens when script calls dispatchEvent on a node that's in a
document that's in your page cache?

> Can you provide a specific link to relevant threads you're thinking of?  I can't guess what search terms you intend for me to use.

Searching for "unload" and "pagehide" should probably find the right
threads.  At least that's where I'd start searching, if I were searching.

-Boris