[whatwg] pagehide vs pagevis

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at MIT.EDU
Thu May 30 10:38:08 PDT 2013

On 5/30/13 1:04 PM, Brady Eidson wrote:
> The long standing design goals and implementation of our page cache
> prevents us from delivering these events to a page that was just sent
> “pagehide with persisted set to true”.

Actually, let me try to clarify this a bit.

The way I would imagine logic like this being implemented is something like:

   dispatchPageHide(true);
   flagPageFrozen();

with the flagPageFrozen() call making it so that further event dispatch
is impossible.

If that is in fact the case, then logic like this:

   dispatchPageHide(true);
   setVisibility("hidden"); // happens to fire an event
   flagPageFrozen();

should generally work fine; this is in fact more or less what Gecko
does, if we ignore the "pagehide makes the page not cacheable" complication.

So how does your setup differ in a way that actually makes this
impossible to implement?

-Boris