[whatwg] Questions regarding Path object

Elliott Sprehn esprehn at chromium.org
Mon Nov 11 15:19:35 PST 2013

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 2:52 PM, Dirk Schulze <dschulze at adobe.com> wrote:

> The SVG WG would like to start using the 'Path' object for its objects as
> well. We'd like this to be a generic object that can be used by other parts
> of the web platform.
> It would be strange to require a canvas context just to create pathh.
>

> I'd like to again say I don't think this thing should be called Path. Lots
> of other things have "Paths", like maps, file systems, urls, why does the
> drawing one get to take the global namespace?
>
> Given that there's a bunch of new objects with Drawing as the prefix, I
> think we should name this DrawingPath like DrawingStyle and friends.
>
> No.

Then I object to us shipping this in Chrome. Bleeding on the global scope
with such a generic name ignoring all the other reasonable uses of the word
Path is not good for the platform. It's not forward thinking, and it's
confusing for developers.

Why is your one use case more important than FilePath, URLPath and MapPath?
Why do all the other APIs get prefixes and yours doesn't?
- E