[whatwg] Alignment of empty buttons

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Sun Nov 24 19:27:56 PST 2013

On Sun, 24 Nov 2013, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> On 11/24/13 8:12 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:
> > >
> > > You mean aren't?
> >
> > Right. They have nothing to do with CSS.
>
> In Gecko they do: they're just blocks.
>
> > They aren't replaced elements, by the CSS definition in any UA, as far
> > as I can tell.
>
> Some UAs render a <div> inside an <option> as specified by CSS.

(That's non-conforming, as far as I can tell, for what it's worth. The
HTML spec says you're supposed to render elements according to what they
represent, and <option> elements represent an option in a select, with a
label, value, etc; children elements have no bearing on all this.)

> Some do not. How are they not replaced elements in the latter?

I don't know what it would mean for them to be replaced elements. The
<select> is a replaced element, but its contents have no bearing on the
CSS spec at all.

But this doesn't seem like a productive avenue of debate, since we've
already agreed that the term we're debating is defined incorrectly anyway.