[whatwg] Why are we merging Document and HTMLDocument again?

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Sep 12 11:43:35 PDT 2013

On Tue, 13 Aug 2013, Ryosuke Niwa wrote:
> On Jul 12, 2013, at 11:04 AM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> > > Having not heard any interest from anyone else, I haven't done
> > > anything. If there's movement here, let me know.
> >
> > That's because other UAs are just silently ignoring the spec as
> > currently written, for the most part...
>
> I concur with Boris's concerns.

So you also support having a Document descendant that is used for
Documents that have global scopes / browsing contexts / the works, and one
that is used for Documents that don't (e.g. createDocument(), XHR), where
the former has the named getter and the latter doesn't?

> Can we at least avoid having OverrideBuiltins on Document?

Do you mean in general? Wouldn't that be non-backwards compatible?

> Or can we keep HTMLDocument that just defines name getter?

When would it be used? Are you agreeing with the proposal above? Or do you
have something different in mind?