[whatwg] Why are we merging Document and HTMLDocument again?

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at apple.com
Thu Sep 12 13:42:40 PDT 2013

On Sep 12, 2013, at 11:43 AM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Aug 2013, Ryosuke Niwa wrote:

>>> That's because other UAs are just silently ignoring the spec as
>>> currently written, for the most part...
>>
>> I concur with Boris's concerns.
>
> So you also support having a Document descendant that is used for
> Documents that have global scopes / browsing contexts / the works, and one
> that is used for Documents that don't (e.g. createDocument(), XHR), where
> the former has the named getter and the latter doesn't?

I think that's what I'm suggesting except that I'm suggesting to keep calling the former HTMLDocument.

>> Can we at least avoid having OverrideBuiltins on Document?
>
> Do you mean in general? Wouldn't that be non-backwards compatible?

I'm using the old terminology here.  I meant on Document, not HTMLDocument as we do keep OverrideBuiltins for the latter.

>> Or can we keep HTMLDocument that just defines name getter?
>
> When would it be used? Are you agreeing with the proposal above? Or do you
> have something different in mind?

As far as I checked, SVGDocument and alike don't have named getter either so I'd rather not introduce it any non-HTML document.

- R. Niwa