[whatwg] hit regions: limited set of elements for fallback content

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri Feb 21 09:17:36 PST 2014

On Fri, 21 Feb 2014, Steve Faulkner wrote:

>> But there's plenty of things which make zero sense as fallback content.
>> <input type=color>, for example, simply cannot be sanely implemented in
>> canvas
>
> as implemented input type=color is a button that when activated pops up
> a picker dialog.

Only on some platforms.

> So the following code (as a simple example)
>
> <canvas id="myCanvas" width="200" height="100"
> style="border:1px solid #000000;"
> onclick="document.getElementById('button').click();">
> <input type="color"" id="button">
> </canvas>
>
> in Firefox 30/windows when the canvas is clicked the color picker is
> displayed. likewise if the the input receives focus via the keyboard and
> the enter/spacebar key is pressed the picker dialog is displayed. --

And that's great if you happen to have that exact implementation. But what
about implementations where a colour palette drops down or is shown inline?

On Fri, 21 Feb 2014, Charles McCathie Nevile wrote:

> I don't want to pronounce on sanity, but I don't think it has ever been
> a major criterion for whether people *will* do something on the Web.

Sure. What we're talking about here is just how to guide people into what
is more sane. This is a big part of what language design, especially
opinionated language design, is all about.

> And it seems pretty easy to make a colour picker in canvas. I can
> imagine that anyone who wanted a specific-purpose color picker (styled
> to match the site, or customising the options, or...) would do it in
> canvas or SVG, and my guess is the former would be more common...

Building a colour picked in canvas would be easy. Making it accessible
using a backing logic based on radio buttons, a list box, or regular
buttons, would be easy. Making it acessible based on <input type=color>
would not work at all.