[whatwg] Supporting more address levels in autocomplete

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri Feb 21 17:03:17 PST 2014

On Fri, 21 Feb 2014, Kevin Marks wrote:

> Would putting the 2 degrees of locality as comma separated in that field
> make more sense?
> Given that this schema is the most widespread addressbook format, I'm sure
> someone has a dataset to discover usage (Google? Apple? Microsoft?)

That's a reasonable set of questions. Anyone?

> Those names come from vcard - if adding a new one, consider how to model it
> in vcard too. Note that UK addresses can have this too - eg 3 high street,
> Kenton, Harrow, Middlesex, UK

That's actually a bogus UK address. I'm not sure exactly which town you
meant that to be in, but official UK addresses never have more than two
"region" levels, and usually only one (the "post town"). The only time
they have two is when the post town has two streets with the same name.

(Note that a lot of people in the UK have no idea how to write their
address according to current standards. For example, people often include
the county, give the "real" town rather than the "post town", put things
out of order, indent each line of the address, etc.)