[whatwg] Supporting more address levels in autocomplete

Kevin Marks kevinmarks at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 17:12:00 PST 2014

On 21 Feb 2014 17:03, "Ian Hickson" <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Feb 2014, Kevin Marks wrote:
> >

> > Those names come from vcard - if adding a new one, consider how to
model it
> > in vcard too. Note that UK addresses can have this too - eg 3 high
street,
> > Kenton, Harrow, Middlesex, UK
>
> That's actually a bogus UK address. I'm not sure exactly which town you
> meant that to be in, but official UK addresses never have more than two
> "region" levels, and usually only one (the "post town"). The only time
> they have two is when the post town has two streets with the same name.

The real address, where I grew up,  was:
2 Melbury Road, Kenton, Harrow, Middlesex, HA3 9RA

> (Note that a lot of people in the UK have no idea how to write their
> address according to current standards. For example, people often include
> the county, give the "real" town rather than the "post town", put things
> out of order, indent each line of the address, etc.)

Damn humans, not following specs. Actually UK addresses have a huge amount
of leeway, as they are routed by postcode in the main (though I did receive
a postcard addressed to "Kevin, Sidney, Cambridge" once).

UK forms tend to ask for postcode and street number these days, and barf
when given US addresses