[whatwg] Supporting more address levels in autocomplete

Evan Stade estade at chromium.org
Fri Feb 28 18:15:02 PST 2014

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 5:47 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

> [...]
> > reason is that the name is so often asked separately
>
> On Mon, 24 Feb 2014, Evan Stade wrote:
> >
> > I agree with this, and plan to propose it separately from the proposal
> > currently under discussion. It might be hard to parse a working address
> > out of a free-form input, but the other direction is doable enough:
> > creating a block of text suitable to printing on an envelope given
> > tokenized values. This tackles the problem of how to format an
> > autocompleted address for a particular country and UI language (i.e. in
> > the user agent has to know how to do it, but the website doesn't).
>
> We can definitely add something like this. We already have a simpler
> version of this for street addresses.
>

> On Mon, 24 Feb 2014, Charles McCathie Nevile wrote:
> >
> > That depends on whether you want to force your customers to think like
> > the Post Office, or whether you prefer to be responsive to your
> > customers. Speaking without data, I suspect that nervousness at not
> > being able to put *what someone thinks* is their address translates
> > fairly readily into a certain amount of failure to proceed with a
> > transaction.
>
> I'd love to see real data on this. I can imagine scenarios that would lead
> this to go both ways.
>

> On Mon, 24 Feb 2014, Dan Brickley wrote:
> >>
> > Who is using the data? Just post offices? Or taxi drivers, pizza
> > delivery bikers, pedestrians?
>
> The latter three are unlikely to really need much more depth at the
> locality level.
>

> On Mon, 24 Feb 2014, Evan Stade wrote:
> >
> > Regarding UK addresses, libaddressinput[1], which is used by Google for
> > various products, currently accepts two levels of administrative region
> > for GB: city and optional county.
>
> You need two levels, but those aren't it. :-) Counties haven't officially
> been used in UK addresses since the mid 90s.
>

> > > This would be the first open-ended field name. Do we really want to
> > > make this open-ended? What happens if a form has n=1..3, and another
> > > has n=2..4? What if one has n=1, n=2, and n=4, but not n=3?
> >
> > I don't know why a web author would do this
>
> Web authors do all kinds of crazy stuff. We have to be ready for it such
> that we never end up forced to introduce weird heuristics.
>

> > but n=m doesn't require n=m-1 or n=m+1 to be present. n=2..4 would just
> > mean the site didn't get the n=1 value.
>
> My concern is that authors do something like this:
>
>    <input ... autocomplete="address-line-1">
>    <input ... autocomplete="address-level-2">
>    <input ... autocomplete="address-level-3">
>
> ...and then the user enters their address:
>
>    1600 Amphitheatre Parkway
>    Mountain View
>    CA
>
> ...and then the user goes to another site:
>
>    <input ... autocomplete="address-line-1">
>    <input ... autocomplete="address-line-2">
>    <input ... autocomplete="address-level-1">
>    <input ... autocomplete="address-level-2">
>    <input ... autocomplete="address-level-3">

So the user is tricked into entering wrong data? (i.e. CA for
address-level-3 instead of address-level-1) A web author could just as
easily cause the user to enter wrong data to be stored by doing:

  <input type="text" autocomplete="address-line-1" placeholder="Zip code">

> > > How does a site know how many levels to offer?
> >
> > It offers as many as it knows what to do with. It probably wouldn't know
> > what to do with n=5, or n=100, and it's highly unlikely a user agent
> > would return a value for those levels anyway, so practically speaking,
> > n=1 to n=3 should be sufficient for now (although n=4 seems possible in
> > the near future). But I don't see the purpose in setting a limit in the
> > spec.
>
> This makes me extremely uncomfortable.
>
> We're saying, "we don't know how to do this, I hope you do". Why would we
> be less able to answer this than Web authors? It's not like Web authors
> are experts in postal addresses.

> I think we should pick the number that is actually needed, and be firm
> that that is the number.

That's not how I would interpret it. We do know how many levels we
currently support. We don't know how many levels we might support in the
future. The number depends on political forces.

> > > What should a Chinese user interacting with a US company put in as
> > > their address, if they want something shipped to China?
> >
> > They would put in the same address regardless of the nationality of the
> > company, assuming the company is able to properly handle their address.
>
> Shouldn't we want everyone to be able to handle everyone's address?

I think I've misunderstood your original question because I don't know how
my answer indicates someone would not be able to handle someone's address.
But to answer the new question, no: if I am only willing to ship to US
addresses, why do I need to be able to handle a Chinese address?

> > Which inputs are visible to the user should depend on which country
> > they're entering. This means that if a user changes the country, the
> > inputs shuffle around and hide or show.
>
> Are we really expecting many sites to do this? I've only seen the most
> advanced sites do this.

Nope, I wouldn't expect many sites to roll their own solution for this,
which is also why most sites are completely broken at accepting
international addresses. But requestAutocomplete offers a much easier way
to support international addresses well: all the UX concerns you're raising
are handled by the browser, which is an advanced piece of software.

> > > So they would be synonyms? Or separate fields?
> >
> > They are pseudo-synonyms.
>
> I don't know what that means.

> > In the US, "region" aligns with "address-level-1", and either one would
> > return the same value. In the UAE, where there are cities but no higher
> > level administrative region, "locality" aligns with "address-level-1".
> > In China, "address-level-1" is a province a province-level city such as
> > Beijing. Beijing is also "region", confusingly, and a district of the
> > city is a "locality".
>
> If we're going to do this, we need to have a mapping for every locality
> defined in the spec. This seems like a losing proposition.

Does the spec define localities? I wasn't aware there was any definition
for the data values, only data types.

> Why not make them straight synonyms?

It seems counter-intuitive to have "address-level-2" but not
"address-level-1" for a country, which would be the case for the UAE (for
example) if we went with exact synonyms.

> > So generally speaking, if I ship to both China and the US, I would
> > create a form with "address-level-[1..4]" and if the user starts to
> > enter a US address, only show the first 2 levels. If the user starts to
> > enter a Chinese address, show more levels. If using requestAutocomplete,
> > all the inputs are hidden all the time anyway.
>
> Are we going to have a list in the spec giving how many levels should be
> given for each country?

No. That is up to the site's ability to handle the data. For example, if
I'm soliciting *just* US addresses, I wouldn't know what to do with
address-level-3, hence I won't ask for it.

> Note that the "country" field is often near the end of the form. How do
> you know which country the user is entering an address for when all the
> user's entered is three lines of text?

Typically the user has to change the country input (or select) before they
can enter an address for that country. But now we're treading into the
realm of site-specific UX decisions.